21 year old guitarist/singer-songwriter, noted for her versatile signature vocals, passionately delivers catchy pop/rock, emotionally charged music stylistically compared to Michelle Branch, Alanis Morrisette and Jonatha Brooke.Interview:
60 Second Quiz
- How did it feel to hear your song played all over the airwaves?
Sirreal, most of the time it's hard to believe that it's actually on the radio! It's such an encouragement to know that people are receiving the music with open arms!
- Did you have any preconceived ideas about the music industry?
I think in the beginning I wanted to believe that there were people who had your best interest at heart. I gave everyone the benefit of the doubt and looked for the best in them. Maybe I'm jaded now- but through the past few years I've become a whole lot more protective. I think sometimes that'sgood and other times maybe not so good. Someone wise once told me, "Everyone has their own agenda... you just have to figure out what that is and then see if it goes along with yours." That statement is so true.
- Do you write your own songs? What's your inspiration?
I write all of my songs. I also have a few people that I enjoy writing with. Writing your songs and then performing them is the most amazing thing. It's putting your heart on display- it's becoming as real and transparent as it gets. I am inspired by a lot of different things, but I think the biggest inspiration comes from my relationship with God. I am also inspired by life and emotion, movies, friends, books and sometimes random stuff that happens throughout the day.
- What music/artists do you listen to when you are not playing your own?
Patty Griffin, Jonatha Brooke, OURS, Fleming and John and many more diverse influences.
- What's next? Tour/Album/Single?
Well, right now I'm hoping to tour- life on the road is where I really where I belong. I really do feel at home when I'm traveling and playing everyday. I'm also working on writing and starting a new album. I'm hoping to do something raw and fresh with my next release. I already have about 15 potential songs and I still want to write and make sure I've got the best album possible! I'm really excited about some of the new songs, I can't wait to get in the studio!
- Was there a moment you contemplated throwing in the towel?
I never experienced a moment of doubt until this summer. Right before the summer I went through some horrible stuff with band members and circumstances. In the process of trying to save my career and friendships with my band, I felt like I lost myself. It took a couple of months to get restored and find excitement about getting back on the road. But that time has only made me stronger- it was really hard, but it was good all at the same time.
- Do you prefer performing live or recording?
I love both- it would be hard to pick! But, there's nothing like playing your music out live and becoming transparent on stage. I seem to fall in love with every audience.
- What/who was your inspiration to go into the music industry?
I can't really think of one person, I've known since I can remember that I was meant to be in music. Call it a calling if you'd like.
- What is the biggest challenge you have faced along the way to your musical success?
Handling all your own business. Sometimes it's easier and better to do it yourself because you believe in what you're doing more than anyone else will, but I find it hard to be an artist and a business woman all at the same time.
- What's a typical day like?
A typical day on the road is waking up around 10am, getting ready, pack up and personal odds and ends which includes working out, meeting the band down in the lobby of the hotel about noon and going to eat. Driving to the next gig, load in, set up, sound check- goof off and meet and greet and setup merch, get ready for the show, play the show- go to the product table and meet people (my fav. part), sign stuff and take pics. Go eat again wherever the band wants to go, then go check in to the place we're staying. Hang out with the band and be dorks, song-write, review performance... write in my journal, have some alone time and spend time reading my Bible and then go to sleep around 3am or so. Wake up and start again. Sometimes we'll have a day off or be in the same city for more than one day and get to go do something fun or interesting! Or sometimes I might have a good friend come and see me and I'll get to spend time with them before and after the show.
- What has been your favorite part of becoming a music artist?
Being able to have a platform to love people and share my heart in a way that it might make a difference.
- If you could collaborate with another artist, who would it be?
Jonatha Brooke or Patty Griffin... maybe Jimmy Gnecco (Ours)
- Are you single? What do you look for in a partner?
I am single. I look for a man who is consistent, driven, who shares similar beliefs and values, someone loving and sensitive and an incredible communicator. I am looking for a best friend- not someone I could live with, but someone I can't live without. And also someone who can understand me and my lifestyle.
- Do you have a website fans can visit?
YES! Visit http://www.christincook.com Drop me a line on the message board - I would love to hear from you!
- Can you tell us 5 things required for a happy healthy & enjoyable life?
- I have found the only satisfaction in life for me has come from giving my life to God. It is the only constant I have found.
- Be true to yourself- never try and change yourself to fit in or get something - it's not worth it.
- Surround yourself with friends that truly care about you and have your best interest at heart- they are hard to find - so if you find someone like that - hang on to them.
- Always have faith and excitement that something more amazing is just ahead or around the corner.
- Love beyond the boundaries- love others the way you want to be loved and you will be loved in return.
- What message would you like to say to your fans?
Thank you to anyone who has supported me and my music in anyway. You grant my heart the ability to speak. I love you!!
- Full Name: Christin Cook
- Nickname(s): Cookie, c2, Hedgehog, Spunky Cookie, Tweety, Chris...(I'm sure I could keep going, but I'll spare you)
- Star Sign: Pisces
- Favorite Food: Right now I have a thing for ice cream
- Favorite Film: The Princess Bride
- Favorite Actor: Mel Gibson
- Pet: Cat, named Turbo
- Describe yourself in 3 words: Spunky, Sweet and Driven
- Best Feature: My eyes
- Worst Feature: My award winning hips ;-)
- Person You Would Most Like to Meet: This is hard, maybe Fleming from
- Fleming and John
- Hobbies/Interests: Making collages, journal-ing, basketball, music, playing guitar and piano, hanging out with friends, thrift store shopping
- First Job: TV and radio commercials
- Are you a Pub, Bar or Club kind: I play in them sometimes- I might go to a club if a band I like is there.
- What Can You Never Leave Home Without: My pillow
- What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning: Where can I get some caffeine?