Nurture your body with plenty of healing sleep
Sleep... it seems that wed all love a little more. Why is it that so many of us regard sleep as a luxury, when it really is a necessity? Sleep is essential to help keep you physically and mentally healthy and beautiful.
Prior to the use of electricity, people would go to bed shortly after sundown, as most animals do, and which nature intended for humans as well. What time are you going to bed these days?
When you sleep youre getting more than just rest, its the time when your body is focusing on healing and repairing itself. The adrenals do a majority of their recharging and recovering whilst youre sleeping, as does the regeneration of skin, muscle, blood, and brain cells. If you deprive your body of this necessary regeneration, your skin will begin to age and dark circles will appear under your eyes. Yikes!!!!!
So, if sleep is something that you would like a little help achieving, then how about creating a bedtime ritual. This could include meditation, deep breathing, using essential oils or indulging in a massage from your partner. The key is to find something that makes you feel relaxed, then repeat it each night to help you release the day's stress.
My favourite ritual to do prior to bedtime if Ive had a stressful day is:
1. Burn sleep inducing essential oils such as Lavender, Roman Chamomile and Sandalwood in an oil burner in the bedroom a couple of hours before going to bed.
2. Create a tranquil environment in the bathroom by running a warm bath, lighting a couple of candles (natural soy wax based and free from artificial fragrances of course) and slipping in to the warm water scented with sleep inducing essential oils such as Lavender, Roman Chamomile and Sandalwood.
3. After relaxing in the bath for 15 minutes, lightly towel dry myself and apply body oil scented with sleep inducing essential oils such as Lavender, Roman Chamomile and Sandalwood.
4. Blow out the candle of the oil burner and curl up in bed with a fresh pot of herbal tea (with sleep inducing herbs such as Chamomile, Passionflower and Valerian).
5. Sip on the cup of tea whilst writing in my journal, clearing all last minute thoughts that pop up in my head.
6. Wake up the next morning with a bright complexion and feeling energized to take on the new day.
Not only will a good nights sleep help to heal and repair the body, it will also help to improve concentration and boost the immune system.