Learning is no longer just for children. The stigma surrounding adult education and training has lost its power. Today, adults are encouraged to learn new skills and values, gain knowledge, and improve attitudes in order for them to help themselves and have the opportunity to have better lives.
Poverty is one of the challenges being faced because of the lack of training and education. When you don't have the necessary skills and training, you cannot be employed in a high-paying job. This means that you can't help your family financially.
For the longest time, women have been expected to stay at home after they get married. She has to give birth and then take care of the children. This is one of the reasons why women, in the past, were not motivated to study. However, it is a different time and women want to have a career.
There are a lot of institutions that offer adult training no matter your age. Women who never had formal education or would want to learn new skills should take this chance and here are some very good reasons why:
1. Better income. Women who have a degree or had training earn more than those who don't. Of course, there are those who have worked hard and have made a name for themselves without the help of an education, but, generally, those who have had an education continue to dominate most industries.
When a woman has better income, she no longer has to depend on a man to support her. There have been a lot of cases wherein wives don't leave their husbands even though they are being mistreated just because the women cannot support themselves. Many of these women are afraid they can't get a job because they don't have a degree. However, if they decide to take training courses, they can definitely compete with others and will be able to become financially independent.
2. Better well-being. Everybody is stressed one way or another. Children are stressed with school and adults are stressed about a million things. However, when the stress is too much and you are faced with the daily struggles of life, you can easily become depressed. Women who are faced with financial struggles each day and have no sense of accomplishment are prone to depression.
Learning is one way of improving your well-being and increasing your happiness. It gives the person a sense of purpose that she may be able to accomplish more than what she has now. It makes people more optimistic, and self-worth increases. When women feel more accomplished, they also become happier. This helps in improving their overall well-being.
3. Empowers the community. Adult education seems to make people become more active citizens. They participate more in community activities and contribute however they can. Those who take part in adult training become good influences on others and also encourage other members of the community to pursue their dreams. It makes people more tolerant and accepting of others, which fosters a healthier community. Through adult education and its resulting empowerment of the community, many women can become role models for those who may need inspiration in their lives.
4. Taking control of your life. At one point in your life, you likely have experienced the feeling of being not in control. It may have been a passing feeling or it is something that is constant. When a woman feels that she is not in control of her life and it feels like everything is on a downward spiral, her health in general could be affected, as well as her relationship with others, especially with her family.
Learning gives you control of your life. You can choose what to learn and which direction you want your life to go. You will be able to make plans and follow through on those plans. You can make long-term goals because you will have the necessary tools that will enable you to accomplish such plans. Also, balance between family and career is possible when you plan carefully.
5. Retirement. It's never too late to plan your retirement. Many who are unemployed are not sure what will happen to them when they are old. Most likely, they will rely on the government or their pension. However, you know that it may not be a comfortable life. Gaining knowledge and learning new skills will ensure that when you retire, you will be taken care of because you will be able to get a better job and you can make retirement plans.
There are no disadvantages to learning, but you have everything to gain. When people say you're too old to go to school, don't listen to them. Also, women should not just stay at home and take care of the family. There needs to be a balance. Take the first step by taking an adult training course and see where life takes you.