Up your outdoor cooking game with Flavor by Fire, featuring Derek Wolf's (@overthefirecooking) wow-inducing recipes for beef, pork, chicken, game, fish, and more.
In Flavor by Fire, join live fire cooking expert Derek Wolf for the most interesting, flavor-packed recipes you'll cook this year.
In Derek Wolf's first book, Food by Fire, he shared the how-to behind starting and cooking with various types of cooking fires, as well as skillets, skewers, and more. Now he's ready to take you on another culinary adventure-but this time it's all about flavor. From instant classics like Chipotle Peppercorn Smoked Brisket to envelope-pushing Chile Con Limon Candied Bacon, the recipes offer lots of variety. All the major tastes-salty, sour, sweet, bitter, and umami-are explored in depth. Derek also leads an investigation of other components you should consider when it comes to flavor, such as aroma, heat, and texture.
Each chapter explores a specific protein's taste and flavor considerations and then tours through impressive recipes including:
- Beef: Beer Marinated Bavette Steak with Creamy Corn Salsa, Coal Roasted Hanger Steaks with Thai Chili Sauce, Black Garlic New York Strips with Bone Marrow Butter, Spiced Rum-Marinated Tri-Tip
- Pork: Cotija Crusted Pork Skewers, Cocoa Molasses-Glazed Spiral Ham, Loaded Chorizo Sandwich with Chilean Inspired Pebre
- Chicken/Turkey: Rotisserie Chicken with Alabama White Sauce, Maple Whiskey Chicken Lollipops, Smoked Tequila Lime Spatchcocked Chicken, Honey Habanero Rotisserie Turkey Legs, Smoked Spiced Whole Turkey
- Fish/Seafood: Garlic-Crusted Tuna with Spicy Avocado Salsa, Baked Lobster with Buffalo Chive Butter, Coal-Roasted Lemon Herb Trout, Sweet Tomatillo Grilled Salmon, Seared Scallops with Beer Pan Sauce, Honey Sriracha Shrimp Skewers, Fire-Crusted Oysters Kilpatrick
- Game/Lamb/Duck: Cast-Iron Bison Ribeyes with Caramelized Red Wine Onions, Bison Steak Frites with Spicy Gremolata Butter, Coffee Crusted Elk Medallions, Hanging Leg of Lamb with Chimichurri Aioli, Smoked Honey Cider Lamb Ribs, Seared Duck Breast with Black Cherry Tamarind Sauce
With features on topics like brining, working with citrus, using alcohol in marinades, and more, you're sure to both build on what you know and learn something new. No matter what flavors call to you, cooking over the fire will never be the same.
Flavor x Fire
buy this book
The Flavor x Fire Cookbook by Derek Wolf is a comprehensive guide to outdoor cooking and grilling. The book is filled with a wide variety of recipes that are easy to follow and delicious to eat. The author, Derek Wolf, is a seasoned outdoor chef who brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the table.
The author encourages readers to source their ingredients locally and seasonally, which adds depth and complexity to the dishes. The recipes range from simple, classic grilling techniques to more complex, multi-step dishes that are perfect for entertaining. Whether you're a seasoned outdoor chef or just starting out, this book is sure to inspire you to get outside and start cooking.