'Cheap Eats' Recipes Courtesy of Australian Eggs
With the cost-of-living crisis continuing to squeeze household budgets and no end in sight, being able to feed the family well, but for less, has never been more important.
With a mix of meal time recipes to choose from Australian Eggs has suggestions to feed the whole family on a budget.
Pesto Tuna Egg and Pasta Salad
COST PER SERVE: $3.20
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 6 eggs, medium boiled, peeled and halved (see tips)
- 350g dry pasta of choice
- ⅓ cup (85g) whole egg mayonnaise
- ½ cup (120g) basil pesto
- 185g can tuna in oil, drained
- ½ cup (75g) semi-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and refresh in cold water. Transfer to a salad bowl.
- Mix together mayonnaise and pesto and stir through the pasta. Add tuna and tomatoes and toss gently to mix.
- Arrange eggs over the top and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Hints:
● To cook medium boiled eggs:
- Add eggs to a saucepan and just cover with tap water.
- Cook over medium heat. Once the water reaches a simmer, start a timer for 6 minutes.
- Gently stir the eggs in a clockwise direction, the movement of the water will help centre the yolks.
- Use a large spoon to remove the eggs from the saucepan. Cool the eggs by running them under cold tap water for 30-60 seconds or placing them in a bowl of iced water.