Polenta is another grain food that serves as a wonderful base for light salad meals. Try it served warm with a tender lean cut of pork, complemented by rich green rocket topped off with appetising parmesan and a lively salad dressing.
4 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
2 cups polenta
1 ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons Moroccan seasoning
500g lean pork fillet
100g baby rocket leaves
3 small egg tomatoes, slicedDressing:
1 x 200g tub low-fat Greek-style yoghurt
2 tablespoons bottled no-oil French dressing
1 small Lebanese cucumber, seeded, grated
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mintMethod:
1. Bring stock to boil in a large pan, gradually stir in polenta. Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes, or until mixture boils and thickens; stir in cheese. Press mixture into a greased 20cm x 30cm lamington pan. Cover, refrigerate for about 3 hours, or until firm.
2. Dressing. Combine all ingredients in a bowl; mix well.
3. Turn out polenta onto a board; cut into quarters. Cut quarters in half crossways
4. Cook polenta on a heated greased grill pan until browned on both sides and heated through; remove from pan. Cover, keep warm.
5. Sprinkle Moroccan seasoning evenly over pork. Cook pork on same heated, greased grill pan until browned on both sides and cooked as desired. Remove from pan. Stand for 5 minutes; slice thickly.
6. Divide polenta among plates. Top with rocket leaves, tomatoes and pork; drizzle with Dressing.
Adjusting your family's eating habits to get more 'good-for-you' foods on the table will see your clan gain a whole range of health benefits, and can even help keep their weight in check.
It's as simple as using more foods with the goodness of grains - they're delicious, quick and easy to work into the daily family meal plan.
Grain foods are not hard to find - they are many of the foods we love to eat every day such as pastas, breads, breakfast cereals, crispbreads, rice, couscous, barley, corn and oats.