Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 10-20 minutes
• 9 large eggs
• 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
• 3 French shallots, diced
• 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• ½ tsp ground coriander
• ¼ tsp ground cardamom
• ¼ tsp iodised salt
• 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• ½ cup wholemeal flour, plus extra to dust eggs
• Black pepper
• ¼ cup fresh parsley or coriander, finely chopped
• ¾ cup dry wholemeal breadcrumbs
• ¼ cup sesame seeds
• Extra virgin olive oil to cook
1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add eight of the eggs and cook for 6 minutes. Drain and cover with cold water to cool and prevent further cooking. Peel and set aside.
2. Heat a frying pan and drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil. Sauté the shallots and garlic over moderate heat until softened, taking care not to burn. Add the cumin, coriander, cardamom, and salt. Cook for a further minute until fragrant.
3. Tip into a food processor along with the chickpeas and pulse until just broken up. You want the mixture to retain some texture rather than be too smooth, so don't over-process. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the remaining egg, flour, fresh herb of choice and ¼ cup of the breadcrumbs. Mix to combine with a fork, roughly mashing any chickpeas that escaped processing.
4. Put out two plates and tip some additional flour onto one and the remaining breadcrumbs on the other. Mix the sesame seeds into the breadcrumbs.
5. Take an egg and roll first in the flour to dust. Then take a spoonful of the chickpea mixture and flatten it on the palm of your hand (it helps to dust your hands with flour). Place the egg in the middle and then wrap the egg in the mixture, squeezing the mixture around the egg until it is completely covered and the mixture if evenly coated. Then roll the wrapped egg in the breadcrumb and sesame seeds to coat, pressing gently to ensure they stick. Lay on a plate and repeat with the other eggs.
6. You can either deep fry the eggs to cook or you can air fry.
a. To deep fry fill a saucepan with enough extra virgin olive oil to cover the eggs. Heat until the oil sizzles when you drop in a crumb. Using a slotted spoon slide in the eggs, cooking in batches so that you don't overcrowd the pan and lower the heat of the oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes, gently rolling the egg occasionally to ensure even cooking. Remove from the pan and place on paper towel on a plate in a warm oven while you cook the remaining eggs.
b. To air fry, put the extra virgin olive oil into a pump bottle and spray the eggs all over. Place in the air fryer and cook for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
7. Serve with tomato chutney and a lovely mixed salad.