Makes 12 buns
2 cups oats
2 cups almond meal
2 cups buckwheat flour + 1/4 cup extra (for cross paste)
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
Pinch sea salt
1 cup Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water (for cross paste)
1 orange, zest only
1.5 cups sultanas
3 tbsp apricot jam
1. Preheat oven to 175 C, fan forced.
2. Grind oats in a blender until a fine powder.
3. Add oat flour to a large bowl with the almond meal, buckwheat flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Mix to ensure no clumps.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together maple syrup, olive oil and almond milk.
5. Pour wet mixture over dry ingredients and combine into a sticky dough. Let it sit for 10-20 mins to thicken.
6. Stir through the orange zest and sultanas.
7. Mix 1/4 cup buckwheat flour and 1/4 cup water until a smooth paste forms. Set aside.
8. Use an ice cream scooper to take a heaped amount of dough and place on a lined baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
9. Scoop the buckwheat paste into a plastic bag and pierce a small hole with one prong from a fork. Squeeze paste gently over each of the buns, forming a cross.
10. Bake buns for 25-30 mins. Allow to cool for 30 mins and then brush lightly with apricot jam.
Quotes from Sami Bloom:
"These dairy-free and gluten-free hot cross buns are made with nutritious ingredients to give you all the fruit and spice you love from traditional buns, whilst filling you up with real whole foods."
"I used Califia's almond milk in this recipe to make it completely plant-based, so even those who are dairy-free can enjoy a treat this Easter! Bursts of sweet sultanas, subtle zestiness from the orange and warm, fragrant spiciness!"
Sami Bloom is a plant-based clinical nutritionist, holistic coach, yoga instructor and new mum from Sydney. Follow her Instagram here: @samibloom
For more recipes or info about Califia Farms visit @califiafarmau