"The potatoes soak up all the flavour, becoming rich and creamy, as they cook in this Garlic, Thyme, Caraway & Mustard Infused Califia Farms Original Oat Milk, delicious!" says Tom Walton.
500ml Califia Farms Original Oat Milk
6-7 sprigs of thyme, leaves, removed
1 tbsp toasted caraway seeds
3 clove garlic, roughly chopped
1 heaped spoon Dijon mustard
6-7 medium red skinned potato, peeled
2 brown onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup vegan melting cheese
2 tbsp chives finely chopped
- Preheat an oven to 210C.
- In a small saucepan, combine the oat milk, half the thyme leaves, caraway, garlic, mustard, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer then remove from the eat to cool slightly.
- Slice the potatoes 3mm thick on a mandolin and place into a large mixing bowl with the onion and a little salt and pepper. Add the infused oat milk and mix to combine everything.
- Layer the potato mix evenly into a 30cm square (or similar sized) baking dish and pour over everything form the mixing bowl and gently press the potatoes down to compact them. Lay a piece of baking paper over the surface of the potatoes and place into the oven to cook for 1 ½ hours, until the potatoes are soft and slightly caramelised on top.
- Remove from the oven, remove the baking paper and scatter over the cheese. Return the gratin to the oven and cook until the cheese is lightly golden and melted.
- Serve the gratin scattered with chives and the remaining thyme leaves
Tom Walton is a chef and dad from Bondi, Sydney with a focus on family friendly and plant-based delicious recipes. Follow his Instagram here: @cheftomwalton. For more details on Califia Farms visit: califiafarms.com.au or head to @califiafarmau