Surprising the family with healthy and hearty meals in winter is always challenging, but Coles winter magazine provides a range of delicious and great value recipe options. Its never been easier to satisfy the entire family while keeping the grocery bill under control.
Coles hearty winter recipes taste great and ensure that busy Mums can find the best value for money.Ingredients
50 g Youll love Coles butter
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 ham hock from the deli counter (1kg)
500 g split green peas
150 g sliced pancetta
1. Heat butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
2. Add sliced onions and fry until brown.
3. Add bacon hock and three litres of all purpose stock.
4. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1½ hours
.5. Remove bacon hock and set aside.
6. Add split green peas to soup and simmer for two hours or until peas have dissolved and soup has thickened.
7. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
8. Remove meat from hock, coarsely chop and add to soup. Under a grill on aluminium foil, heat the pancetta disks until crispy.
9.Ladle soup into bowls, top with broken pancetta chips and serve with crusty bread.
Tip: Soak green peas overnight, strain and add to soup in the first step with bacon hock. This will shorten cooking time as the soup will thicken faster.
Approximately $15.00 for a family of 4