Lentil & Beef Stew
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 3 serves
● 3 teaspoon(s) olive oil (extra virgin)
● 3/4 onion (brown) diced
● 3 clove(s) garlic
● 300 g beef steak (porterhouse) cut into 1-inch cubes
● 1 1/2 carrot(s) sliced
● 1 1/2 stalk(s) celery sliced
● 2 1/4 cup(s) diced tomatoes (canned)
● 3 cup(s) beef stock (or bone broth)
● 1 cup(s) McKenzie's Whole Green Lentils rinsed
● salt & pepper to taste
1. Start by adding the olive oil and onion to a pot over medium heat and saute for 3 minutes, until the onion starts to go translucent.
2. Add the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes, until golden.
3. Brown off the beef by adding it to the pot and cooking for approximately 5 minutes.
4. Add remaining ingredients and mix well to combine. Leave to cook for 20-25 minutes until everything has softened and cooked through.
5. Remove from the heat, mix through salt and pepper and serve.
Energy = 2105.6kj
Calories = 503.0cal
Protein = 43.4g
Fibre = 13.8g
Fat = 11.6g
Saturated Fat = 3.2g
Carbohydrates = 47.6g
Sugar = 16.2g
These recipes are brought to you by health and fitness expert, Sam Wood, and his '28 by Sam Wood' program. Recipes are all under 510 calories and are filled with the goodness of McKenzie's pulses.
Pulses like chickpeas, lentils and split peas are a great source of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals and are low in GI, helping to keep us full for longer. For more information visit www.28bysamwood.com