CRISPY PORK BELLY WITH STICKY TAMARIND & CHILLI JAM
Prep: 30 minutes Cook: 1 hour 20 minutes Serve: 10
- 1 x 2 kg piece Borrowdale boneless pork belly o
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- Shredded green onions (shallots), to serve
Sticky Tamarind & Chilli Jam
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons tamarind puree
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- Preheat the oven to 240¬∞C/220¬∞C fan forced. Using a sharp knife, score pork rind at 1cm intervals. Rub with oil and sea salt.
- Place a rack in a large roasting pan. Pour 3 cups of water into the roasting pan. Place pork skin side-up on the rack. Roast pork for 40-45 minutes or until the skin is golden and crackled.
- Reduce heat to 170¬∞C/150¬∞C fan-forced and roast for a further 40 minutes or until the pork is very tender.
- Meanwhile, to make the sticky tamarind jam, heat oil in a small saucepan over high heat. Add ginger, garlic and chilli and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Reduce heat to low. Add ¬º cup of water, sugar, tamarind puree and fish sauce. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes or until the jam is thick and sticky. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove pork from oven. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes. Slice pork into small squares. Arrange pork on a platter. Serve with sticky tamarind jam and shredded green onions.
*Recipe Credit: Australian Pork
Image: Nicola Hanlon