Consensus American Chocolate Cookie Shake
With a cookie inspiration from the all-time original
1 2/3 cups whole milk
12 ounces white chocolate, chopped
4 chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
4 cups crushed ice
8 honey-roasted pecans
1. Bring 1 cup milk to a boil. Pour over the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Let sit until the chocolate begins to melt, about 1 minute, then stir until smooth. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
2. Add the white chocolate mixture to a blender along with the remaining 2/3 cup milk, the cookies, ice, and pecans. Blend until smooth. Pour into tall frosty glasses and serve immediately.
Yield: 5 servings
1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
1. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, flour and cocoa powder until sandy in texture. Add the granulated sugar and egg and continue mixing until the dough is smooth and comes together. Cover and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 325˚F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or bakers' Silpat.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, pound the dough until it is 1/4 inch thick. Using a cookie cutter or shot glass, cut the dough into 1 1/4 – inch circles and place on the lined baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool completely.
4. Whip the cream and confectioners' sugar until it forms firm peaks. Spread a generous layer of cream on a baked, cooled cookie. Sandwich with another cookie on top. Enjoy with the cookie shake.
Yield: about 30 cookie sandwiches
For more information about Max Brenner or to shop online, please visit: www.maxbrenner.com.au or for further Max Brenner recipes purchase Chocolate: A love Story (65 chocolate dessert recipes from Max Brenner's Private Collection)