Cannelloni Alla Bolognese
Meat Filled Cannelloni with Béchamel Sauce
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Initial Baking Time: 1 - 2 hours (this can be done in advance)
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
2nd Baking Time: 45 minutes
Serves 4 Ingredients
500g beef cheek or trimmed beef such as chuck steak
4 tomatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 cup beef stock
1/2 cup dry red wine
250g Barilla Cannelloni
1 cup Barilla Napoletana Sauce Bechamel
1/4 cup butter
1 onion, finely diced
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese Method
1. Preheat oven to 170oC. Place the beef in a casserole dish with the tomatoes, onion, carrots, stock and wine. Place over a high heat and bring to the boil. Transfer to the oven and cook for 1 - 2 hours or until very tender.
2. Remove the meat from the dish and place the dish over a very high heat on the stove top. Cook the juices until reduced to 1 cup. Shred the meat then return to the sauce in the pan.
3. Spoon the meat filling into the Barilla Cannelloni tubes. Spoon Barilla Sauce into the base of a baking dish (if you have any leftover beef filling, add this to the base of the dish as well), then arrange Cannelloni in a single layer.
4. To make the bechamel Heat the butter over a medium heat, then saute the onion until soft. Add the flour and cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Return to heat and cook until the sauce comes to the boil. Pour the sauce over the Cannelloni then top with the grated mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
5. Bake for 45 minutes or until the pasta is tender and the top is golden. Serve with a salad.