100g soft margarine
250g CSR Caster Sugar
2 tablespoons CSR Golden Syrup
150 ml buttermilk
300 ml flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp powdered cloves
2 tsp ground cinnamon
CSR Soft Icing Mixture for dusting
1. Cover a baking tin with greaseproof paper. Set the oven temperature at 200°C.
2. Beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy (approximately double in volume).
3. Add margarine and beat well. Then add CSR Golden Syrup and combine.
4. Shake buttermilk well before adding it to the mixture. Beat in the buttermilk only long enough until combined.
5. Mix flour, baking powder and spices together and mix it into the egg mixture only until the dry ingredients are combined (do not over mix the dough).
6. Pour the dough into the baking tin and bake for approx. 25-30 minutes.
7. Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack, dust with CSR Soft Icing Mixture and serve with whipped cream and a cup of chai tea.
Note: If you want to create a -tree' you will need to make double the quantities listed above and bake the mixture in 3 shallow 30cm baking tins (filled with 1/3 of the mixture each). This quantity will ensure that your -tree' has enough levels. When the cake has cooled, cut out star shapes in graduated sizes (from large to small) then stack the stars on top of each other. Dust with CSR Soft Icing Mixture.