● 4 x 200g Borrowdale Loin Steaks
● 1 red capsicum
● 1 small eggplant
● 100g haloumi cheese
● 1⁄2 bunch basil
● 1 bunch parsley
● 100g baby spinach
● 150ml olive oil
● Salt & cracked black pepper
1. Preheat hot griddle plate. Cut red capsicums and eggplant into flat pieces and place on a hot griddle to cook, flip after several minutes. While these are finishing cut the halloumi cheese into 4 thick slices and grill these in the same method as the vegetables. Set these aside to finish pork steaks. This step can also be carried out in a flat frypan, alternatively, roast vegetables in a hot oven before proceeding.
2. Prepare the salsa verde (herb oil) by bringing a pot of salted water to the boil. Then prepare a 1-litre size bowl of iced water. Pick a bunch of each herb – basil, parsley and baby spinach. Keep the leaves and discard the stalks. Plunge all the leaves into the boiling water for 15 seconds and then remove and plunge quickly into iced water. The herbs should be bright green in colour after this process.
3. Drain and squeeze cooled herbs and remove as much moisture as possible. Place in a high powered blender with 150ml extra virgin olive oil and blend until herbs are completely pureed. Strain out herb solids using a coffee filter and reserve herb oil. Season to taste.
4. For the butchery – assess main muscle loin, remove silver skin located on one side of the pork muscle if present. Then cut perpendicular to the loin creating approximately 200-gram medallions (3cm). Cut a pocket in each steak with a sharp knife.
5. Fill each pocket with roasted capsicum, halloumi, eggplant and picked basil. These steaks are best grilled in a hot frypan, flipped and then placed the whole pan in a hot oven for 5–10minutes and then finish with salsa verde.
Best served with mash potato, rice or farro and sautéed baby spinach.
This recipe was brough to you by Borrowdale.