Columbia Records/Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release Blinded By The Light: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (digital and CD configurations) on Friday, August 9.
2LP 12" vinyl configurations of Blinded By The Light: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack will be available Friday, August 30 with JB Hi-Fi offering an exclusive 2LP 12" white vinyl edition of the album.
Blinded By The Light: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack brings together 12 essential Bruce Springsteen performances ranging from greatest hits and fan favourites ("Born To Run," "Dancing In The Dark," "Hungry Heart," "Because The Night") to previously unreleased tracks, including the long-sought-after studio recording of "I'll Stand By You." Also, for the first time on album, Blinded By The Light: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack presents two live rarities: the debut live performance of "The River" (from No Nukes '79 - Madison Square Garden, NYC - September 21, 1979) and an unforgettable acoustic solo performance of "The Promised Land " (Concert for Valor - The National Mall, Washington DC, November 11, 2014).
In addition to the Springsteen performances, Blinded By The Light: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack includes period tracks and dialogue from the film and premieres "For You My Love," a new song written for the film by soundtrack composer A.R. Rahman ("Slumdog Millionaire"). Rahman has won six National Film Awards, two Academy Awards, two Grammy Awards, a BAFTA Award, a Golden Globe Award, fifteen Filmfare Awards and seventeen Filmfare Awards South.
Inspired by a true story (Sarfraz Manzoor's Greetings from Bury Park: Race, Religion and Rock N' Roll) and the words and music of Bruce Springsteen, New Line Cinema's "Blinded by the Light" is the new coming-of-age film directed by Gurinder Chadha ("Bend It Like Beckham"). The film follows Javed (Viveik Kalra), a British teen of Pakistani descent, growing up in Luton, England in 1987. Javed's turbulent life amidst the racial and economic turmoil of the times is transformed when he is introduced to the music of Bruce Springsteen.
"As a lifelong Bruce fan, I am delighted how this soundtrack takes you through the experience of watching my movie with Springsteen music complemented by the other tracks, including very personal tracks"from my dad's favourite song to a British Bhangra anthem," said writer-director-producer Chadha. "Growing up, Sarfraz and I could never have imagined a universe where all these songs would be on one soundtrack reflecting our lives." Blinded by the Light Soundtrack
Chadha directed "Blinded by the Light" from a screenplay by Manzoor, Chadha and Paul Mayeda Berges. Chadha, Jane Barclay and Jamal Daniel produced the film, with Tory Metzger, Renee Witt, Peter Touche, Stephen Spence, Hannah Leader, Tracy Nurse, and Berges serving as executive producers. "Blinded by the Light" is a New Line Cinema presentation, in association with Levantine Films and Ingenious Media. "Blinded By The Light" will open in cinemas nationally on August 22, 2019 distributed locally by Universal Pictures International Australia.
A breakout smash at this year's Sundance Film Festival, "Blinded by the Light" has been hailed by critics as "a delirious and romantic rock 'n' roll parable…[an] incandescent ode to the life force of pop music" (Variety) and "pure, ingenuous joy" (Entertainment Weekly). Collider called it, "One of the year's best films" while the New York Post said, "Guaranteed to make you feel better than any other film this year." Indiewire said "Glorious" while The Wrap observed it was "Damn near irresistible."
Blinded By The Light: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Track List
1. Ode To Javed/Javed's Poem – A.R. Rahman
2. It's a Sin – Pet Shop Boys
3. The Sun Always Shines On T.V. – a-ha
4. "The Boss Of Us All" (dialogue)
5. Dancing In The Dark – Bruce Springsteen
6. "You Should Be Listening To Our Music" (dialogue)
7. "I Never Knew Music Could Be Like This" (dialogue)
8. *The River– Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (Live at Madison Square Garden, New York, NY – September 21, 1979) (previously unavailable on an album)
9. "Number One Paki Film" (dialogue)
10. Badlands – Bruce Springsteen
11. Cover Me – Bruce Springsteen
12. Thunder Road– Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (Live at The Roxy Theater, West Hollywood, CA – October 18, 1975)
13. Get Outta My Way Fascist Pigs – Amer Chadha-Patel
14. "Do It For Me" (dialogue)
15. Prove It All Night – Bruce Springsteen
16. Hungry Heart – Bruce Springsteen
17. "You, Me…and Bruce" (dialogue)
18. Because The Night – Bruce Springsteen
19. Maar Chadapa – Heera
20. *The Promised Land - Bruce Springsteen (Live on The National Mall, Washington, D.C. – November 11, 2014)
21. Blinded By The Light – Bruce Springsteen
22. Born To Run – Bruce Springsteen
23. *I'll Stand By You – Bruce Springsteen (previously unreleased studio recording)
24. *For You My Love – A.R. Rahman (new original song for film)
* previously unavailable on an album