prep + cook time: 1 hour 40 minutes (+ standing & cooling)
8 medium apples (1.5kg)
2/3 cup (150g) CSR Caster Sugar
1⁄2 cup (125ml) water
2 tablespoons CSR White Sugar, optional
3 cups (450g) White Wings Self-Raising Flour
1⁄4 cup (40g) CSR Pure Icing Sugar
125g (4 ounces) cold butter, chopped coarsely
1 egg, beaten lightly
1⁄2 cup (125ml) milk, approximately
11⁄2 cups (240g) CSR Pure Icing Sugar
1⁄4 cup (60ml) passionfruit pulp, approximately
Apple Pie Slice Method
1. Peel, quarter and core apples; slice thickly. Place apples, caster sugar and the water in a large saucepan; cover, bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes or until apples are just tender. Gently turn apple mixture into a large colander or strainer to drain; cool to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Grease 20cm x 30cm (8-inch x 12-inch) rectangular pan; line base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm (2 inches) over sides.
3. Make pastry.
4. Roll two-thirds of the pastry on a floured surface until large enough to line base and sides of pan, with 1cm (1⁄2 inch) extending over the sides. Lift pastry into pan. Spread cooled apple mixture into pastry case; brush edges with a little extra milk. Roll out remaining pastry until large enough to generously cover pie. Place over filling; press edges together to seal. Trim excess pastry around edges. Brush top with a little milk; sprinkle with white sugar. Slash about six holes in pastry.
5. Bake pie slice for 45 minutes. Stand in pan 10 minutes; turn, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
6. Meanwhile, make passionfruit icing.
7. Spread icing over pastry; serve slice cut into squares. Pastry: Sift flour and icing sugar into a large bowl; rub in butter. Make a well in centre. Using a knife, "cut" combined egg and enough milk through flour mixture to make a soft dough. Passionfruit icing: Sift icing sugar into a medium heatproof bowl, stir in enough of the passionfruit pulp to make a thick paste. Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water; stir icing until spreadable.
Tip: You will need approximately two passionfruit to make this recipe.