For the tofu + marinade:
250g firm tofu, drained pressed for 30 minutes
3 shallots, finely chopped
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Mayver's Almond + Chia Spread
2 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
1 tbsp black bean sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 – 1 tsp sriracha sauce
1 tsp minced ginger
2 tsp rice malt syrup
Water, to thin
Cracked pepper, to taste
For the bowl additions:
2/3 cup basmati rice
1/2 tsp Chinese 5-Spice
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, and whisk the Mayver's Almond + Chia Spread through to the rice malt syrup together in a small bowl. Add enough water to thin the mixture – roughly half to a full tablespoon.
2. Chop the tofu into cubes and place in a shallow baking dish with the shallots.
3. Pour the marinade over the tofu and shallots and gently stir to coat.
4. Place baking dish in the oven for 25 minutes, flipping the tofu over after the first 15 minutes. While the tofu is cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients for the bowls.
5. Rinse the rice under cold water and cook as directed. Add the Chinese 5-spice and cracked pepper to the water at the beginning of cooking. Fluff, and serve.
6. Chop the cucumber into 3cm thick slices and quarter. Top the rice bowls with equal handfuls of cucumber, and, once cooked, finish off the bowls with equal thirds of the tofu. Serve!
Thanks to the AMAZING Ash from @innerpickle_ for this recipe!