Since the time of the Roman Baths, people have travelled for health and relaxation. According to the Global Wellness Institute, wellness tourism is the fastest-growing travel sector. For travellers seeking self-care, global travel authority Lonely Planet has published Wellness Escapes - a guide to wellness getaways around the world. From yoga retreats in India to hot spring resorts in Australia to Buddhist meditation temples in Korea, readers can now discover 200 of the most inspiring ways to replenish mind, body and soul.
Wellness Escapes features five chapters corresponding to five different themes: Active, Calm, Healthy, Indulged and Inspired. Whether readers are in the mood for mindfulness or spa treatments, surfing in Morocco or seaweed baths in Ireland, there's a getaway for it. Lonely Planet travel experts offer the inside scoop on what makes each wellness retreat unique, and of course ways to explore the region beyond it.
Want to bring the wellness experience home? Between chapters, Wellness Escapes includes diagrams on popular yoga and meditation techniques, as well as healthy smoothie recipes to whip up in your own kitchen. Readers will learn the difference between seven types of massage, nine types of yoga, 10 of the largest wellness festivals around the world and more.
Providing both insight and wisdom, Lonely Planet's Wellness Escapes will help people discover more mindful travel experiences in no time.
Wellness Escapes includes the following Australian retreats:
● Billabong Retreat | Maraylya, NSW
● Byron Yoga Retreat Centre | Byron Bay, NSW
● Gaia Retreat & Spa | Brooklet, NSW
● Golden Door | Pokolbin, Hunter Valley, NSW
● Griffins Hill Iyengar Yoga Retreat | Dunkeld, Vic
● Gwinganna | Gold Coast, Qld
● Hepburn Bathhouse & Spa | Hepburn Springs, Vic
● Injidup | Yallingup, WA
● Krishna Village | Eungella, NSW
● Mountain Seas Retreat | Flinders Island, Tas
● Peninsula Hot Springs | Fingal, Mornington Peninsula, Vic
● Prema Shanti | Cape Tribulation, Daintree Rainforest, Qld
● Samadhi Health & Wellness Retreat & Spa | Daylesford, Vic
● Sanctuary Retreat | Mission Beach, Qld
● Waldheim Alpine Spa | Cradle Mountain, Tas
Lonely Planet is a leading travel media company and the world's number one travel guidebook brand, providing both inspiring and trustworthy information for every kind of traveller since 1973. Over the past four decades, we've printed over 145 million guidebooks and grown a dedicated, passionate global community of travellers. Lonely Planet can be found on lonelyplanet.com, mobile, video and in 14 languages, nine international magazines, armchair and lifestyle books, ebooks and more. Visit us at lonelyplanet.com and join our 14 million followers on Facebook (facebook.com/lonelyplanet), Twitter (@lonelyplanet), Instagram (instagram.com/lonelyplanet) and Snapchat (@lonely.planet).