The world masters of magic are returning to Sydney with their spectacular production, The Illusionists: Direct From Broadway, materialising in the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall for a strictly limited season from 19 to 29 December 2018.
The Illusionists has shattered box office records across the globe with over 85,000 Sydney Opera House audiences alone having witnessed the mind-blowing techniques and talent of The Illusionists (2012), The Illusionists 2.0 (2014) and The Illusionists 1903 (2015). This year, The Illusionists: Direct From Broadway will continue to redefine magic and challenge audience expectations with large-scale stunts, levitation, mindreading, disappearance and daredevilry. This non-stop show is thrilling and sophisticated magic at its best, led by seven of the world's most talented magicians and artists:
• The Trickster, aka Jeff Hobson, whose unique brand of comedy magic leaves audiences laughing long after the curtain goes down;
• Brisbane-born Robyn Sharpe, aka The Warrior; an ex-gymnast whose thrilling crossbow act has been described as "one of the most dynamic and dazzling danger displays in the world";
• The Daredevil, aka British escape artist Jonathan Goodwin. He has been hanged, buried alive, dangled by his toes from helicopters, burned at the stake, and even attacked by sharks to name just a few of his terrifying stunts;
• The Inventor, aka Kevin James, a prolific innovator and consultant of magic who has contributed to many famous tricks including illusions by Penn & Teller, Mark Wilson and David Copperfield;
• Korean-born An Ha Lim, aka The Manipulator, whose slight-of-hand routine is widely regarded as one of the most masterful performances in the world;
• The Mentalist, aka Chris Cox, a multi-award-winning mind-manipulator whose mischievous sense of magic and wonder has been seen by over 300,000 people internationally; and
• The exceptional British magician Maddox Dixon, aka The Showman, who blends storytelling with misdirection and illusion to enchant audiences across the globe.
Sydney Opera House Head of Contemporary Performance, Olivia Ansell, says: "25 countries and six years after the world premiere of The Illusionists at Sydney Opera House in 2012, I'm delighted to welcome back this undeniably slick production, celebrating seven skilful masters of illusion. From Robyn Sharpe's impressive crossbow display to An Ha Lim's mind-boggling sleight-of-hand and Jonathan Goodwin's shocking daredevilry, The Illusionists: Direct from Broadway will be an exhilarating feast of world-class tricks and illusions."
Simon Painter, Creative Producer, The Works Entertainment, says: "Bringing The Illusionists back for its fourth season at Sydney Opera House and to where this show first began, is a huge honour. The Illusionists now tours around the World 365 days a year across the United States, South America, South Africa, the Middle East and Europe, dazzling audiences of all ages. Our new show Direct From Broadway, is a fantastic opportunity for Sydney audiences, families and visitors this Summer to enjoy the very best magic and illusion acts from around the world."
Combining the showmanship of the Harry Houdini era with contemporary stunts, visual effects and cutting-edge technology, The Illusionists: Direct From Broadway is an unmissable summer experience for the whole family.
Watch the trailer for The Illusionists: Direct From Broadway here.
Etihad is the major partner for The Illusionists: Direct From Broadway at the Sydney Opera House.
The Illusionists: Direct From Broadway
WHEN: 19-29 December 2018
PERFORMANCE TIMES: 3pm & 7pm every day, except 1pm only on 24/12, no show on Christmas Day
WHERE: Concert Hall, Sydney Opera House
PRICES: Adults from $59, children from $39
TICKETS: Available from 3 September: sydneyoperahouse.com or 9250 7777