It lowers blood pressure
Cocoa is very rich in plant-based nutrients called flavanols, with dark chocolate containing 2-3 times more flavanols cocoa solids than milk chocolate. These flavanols support the production of nitric oxide in the endolethium (the cells that line the inside of your blood vessels), which in turn helps relax the blood vessels, improving your blood flow and lowering blood pressure.
It can assist with weight loss
No, we are not kidding! There are a couple of reasons why chocolate can help you lose weight. Firstly chocolate is high in magnesium which reduces water retention, helping you lose extra water weight. Neuroscientists also say that letting a single callet of chocolate melt on your tongue causes a reduction in appetite. And finally, studies have shown that people who consume chocolate regularly are in fact slimmer than those who do not.
It's not only delicious it's also nutritious!
Dark chocolate is full of nutritious goodies including:
• Iron is an important mineral that helps with various bodily functions, including the transport of oxygen in the blood and energy.
• Copper is an essential trace mineral found in all body tissues. Not only does it enable the body to form red blood cells, it also helps the body maintain healthy bones, blood vessels, nerves and immune function.
• Magnesium is an abundant mineral in the body that is required for energy production as well as contributing to the structural development of bones.
• Zinc is a trace element, which is vital for a healthy immune system.
• Phosphorus is the second most plentiful mineral in your body and is needed to keep your bones healthy and manage how your body stores and uses energy.
It helps keep your bones strong
For this one white and milk chocolate are the heroes! Due to these types of chocolate having less cocoa they have high levels of dairy, with 50g of white chocolate containing 1/6 of the recommended daily intake.
It will have your skin glowing all summer long
Although chocolate is not an alternative for sunscreen, the flavanols found in dark chocolate act as UV filters which protects the skin from sunburn, so you'll be looking radiant all summer!
It leaves you feeling full of joy
Last, but certainly not least! It may seem obvious, but it has now been scientifically proven that the consumption of chocolate causes the release of a chemical in our brain called phenylethylamine, which releases feel-good endorphins, leaving us feeling over the moon!